Veterans with a >60% disability rating can obtain a free lifetime fishing permit by registering for an iSportsman account, but first must provide VA documentation to Natural Resources. Call (719) 333-3308 for assistance, or email your VA paperwork to email@example.com. A DoD-issued identification card is required to access the lakes.
Mobility-impaired fishermen needing an airfield gate access badge must call Natural Resources at (719) 333-3308 to complete the badging paperwork, which is processed at the South Gate Pass and Registration Center (PRC). A state-issued handicap license plate or placard is required for airfield access.
The Natural Resources woodlot is open 24/7 and operating on the honor system. Firewood cutters must measure their load and leave a check made out to the US Treasury in the brown mailbox at the office door. A price sheet and measuring tape is inside the mailbox.
Our Mission: In support of the military education and training mission, conserve and enhance the Air Force Academy’s natural resources through the application of sound science and proactive stewardship practices.
The Natural Resources program manages the forests, rangelands, wetlands, wildlife, recreational fishing lakes, and multi-use trails on the US Air Force Academy, Farish Recreation Area, and Bullseye Auxiliary Airfield. Through a Cooperative Agreement with the US Fish and Wildlife Service, a team of USFWS biologists and foresters is responsible for managing the installation’s 19,110 acres, of which more than 70% is natural open space. The staff works cooperatively with many partners, including local governments and organizations, Colorado Parks and Wildlife, US Forest Service, Colorado Natural Heritage Program, Colorado State Forest Service, and other DoD offices. The natural resources management program has received the US Fish and Wildlife Service's Military Conservation Partner Award and the Department of Defense General Thomas D. White Award.
Events and Services
- In-person wildlife salvage list sign-up - August 2, 2021 at Natural Resources (0630-1600)
- Free DAV and Purple Heart fishing permits - see Fishing for details
- Airfield gate access for mobility-impaired fisherman - see Fishing for details
- Firewood Lot - open 24/7 - see instructions above
- 2021 cow elk drawing application - January 1 - May 31 - see Hunting for details
- 2021 deer hunting - December 4-5 and December 11-12 - see Hunting for details
- 2021 cow elk hunting - October 1 - January 31 - see Hunting for details
- 2021 fall archery turkey hunting - September 1 - October 3 - see Hunting for details
Please call Natural Resources at (719) 333-3308 for assistance or information.
Site updated: July 1, 2021 Webmaster: firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo credits: Russ DeFusco, Greg Speights, Brian Mihlbachler, Steve Wallace, Colorado Natural Heritage Program (Michael Menefee)