Recreational Fishing

Four lakes at the Air Force Academy and the three Farish Recreation Area lakes are stocked with 9-11" rainbow trout from May through September. Grass carp stocked for aquatic weed control and should be released.

The sale of fishing permits covers the annual cost of stocking the hatchery-raised trout.  All anglers 16+ years of age must purchase a one-day ($9) or annual ($24) fishing permit, which is valid for both the Air Force Academy and Farish Recreation Area.  A $7 permit allowing the use of a second fishing rod is also available.  A state fishing license is NOT required.


Fishing is NOT open to the public; only active duty military, military retirees, disabled veterans (or eligible caregivers) with a Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC), Purple Heart recipients, active DoD civilians, and sponsored guests are eligible.  Camping and lodging guests at Farish Recreation Area that do not meet one of these customer types can only purchase one-day permits.  Additional fishing information and regulations is published in USAFAI32-7001

Customer Type Annual One-Day Second Rod


Active Duty (and dependents) Yes Yes Yes
Military Retiree (and dependents) Yes Yes Yes
<60% Disabled Veterans (and eligible caregiver) with Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC) Yes Yes Yes
Purple Heart Recipients and >60% Disabled Veteran with a VA disability rating letter 50  percent discount Yes Yes
USAFA DoD Civilian, AAFES, NAF Employee (and dependents) Yes Yes Yes
Non-USAFA DoD Civilian Employee (and dependents) No Yes Yes
Sponsored Guest No Yes Yes










Purchasing an Online Permit

To purchase a fishing permit, follow these instructionsEach person must create a unique iSportsman account for the permit to display the permittee's name.  After completing the purchase, print the permit or save a PDF or photo copy to a mobile device.  Write down the username and password for each account to speed the permitting process next season.  Some form of the permit must be in your possession while fishing

Eligibility to purchase a one-day or annual fishing permit depends on the customer type selected during the account registration process, as shown in the above table.

Purchasing an Over-the-Counter Permit

Over-the-counter permits are available through the Force Support Squadron (FSS) at Farish Recreation Area, Outdoor Recreation, and the Peregrine Pines FamCamp, but we request you use the online system whenever possible.  By using iSportsman our administrative costs are reduced and all of your permit fee can go toward fish stocking and other natural resources projects.    

Disabled Veteran/Purple Heart Permits and Mobility-Impaired Access to Kettle Lakes

Discounted annual fishing permits are available for Purple Heart recipients and veterans with a 60% or higher Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability rating. To obtain the anual permit you must register for an iSportsman account (Step 1) and email VA or Purple Heart paperwork to to validate your eligibility (Step 2). Once your eligibility is validated you will be able to access the annual permit on the Aquire Permits page.  There is no VA discount for the one-day or second rod permits.  The free lifetime fishing licenses issued prior to January 2023 are still valid.  

Mobility-impaired fishermen with a state-issued handicap vehicle license plate or placard can apply for a DBIDS badge that operates the Airfield's west gate (K1), which provides easier access to the Kettle Lakes.  A "disabled veteran" license plate does not meet the Airfield's requirements for gate access.  Call Natural Resources at (719) 333-3308 to complete the DBIDS paperwork, which is submitted by email to the South Gate Pass and Registration Center. Airfield DBIDS badges are valid for one-year and can only be renewed within 30 days of expiration. 

Instructions on how to operate the airfield gate and a map of the access to the Kettle Lakes is available here.  


The fishing regulations are published in USAFAI32-7001.  Key regulations include:

Invasive Aquatic Organisms, Fish Diseases

Unwanted fish species, invasive aquatic organisms, and fish diseases can severely impact the quality of a lake or stream for fishing. Unfortunately, all of these problems have been introduced to the Academy's lakes by fishermen, fish hatcheries, and from upstream ponds.  Nuisance fish such as goldfish, koi, European rudd, and crappie occur in most of the lakes.  If caught, these fish should be disposed of in the available trash containers.  Although the Academy stocks only whirling disease-free trout, the parasite that causes this disease does occur in the lakes.  Most stocked trout are not in the lakes long enough to contract and display the symptoms of whirling disease.  Infected fish are safe for human consumption with proper cooking.

Anchor worm, another fish parasite, is prevalent in the lakes. This disease is caused by an external parasite that penetrates the fish’s skin, often at the base of a fin.  The head develops into an “anchor” that holds the parasite in place, then the female produces egg sacs that resemble small worms.  The site of attachment usually develops into a bumpy sore which can cover the body of a severely infected fish.  The cause of an anchor worm outbreak is unknown, but it is likely that a combination of environmental and biological factors, such as higher water temperature and fish density, help promote the parasite.  There is no practical method for treating the fish or controlling the parasite.  Although the fish can look unsightly, anchor worm does not pose a human health risk and infected fish are safe to consume with proper cooking.

Help prevent aquatic invasives and diseases